WHY are Digital Twins useful?
Fundamentally, the usefulness of Digital Twins is conditioned by their ability to bridge the gap between the analogue, physical world of nature to the digital, virtual world of computers. It translates real observations into something that can be interpreted and processed by machines, and are thus a key enabler in the digitization of businesses and societies.
THE TEN MOST USEFUL APPLICATIONS OF A DIGITAL TWIN FOR A HIGH VALUE, HIGH COMPLEXITY ASSET WILL BE:
- Remaining life assessment of structure
- Inspection/maintenance planning based on true load history
- Relationship between loads and power production for control system policies
- Early damage detection for pre-emptive maintenance and shutdown prevention
- Hindsight to foresight – access to (aggregated) time series for design feedback
- Virtual inspection support
- Predict consequences of (adverse) future operating conditions
- Multi-asset orchestration/control and synchronization
- Inspection/monitoring process support (cost reduction)
- Visualization and inspection of stresses at inaccessible/hidden locations